Full-time English Faculty
Southern Wesleyan University’s College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for an Assistant Professor level, tenure-track position in English within its Humanities Division. The ideal candidate will be qualified to teach courses in the Media Communication program in addition to teaching in the English program. This position, which will begin August 2014, is located at SWU’s main campus in Central, South Carolina.
- Teaching responsibilities include classes in SWU’s undergraduate traditional program: freshman composition; one or more sophomore-level literature and writing classes; and possibly upper-division English classes. Ideally, the candidate will also be able to teach lower-level Media Communication classes, as needed. SWU faculty carry a 12-hour/semester load.
- Program development, advisement, and student mentoring.
- Active in the scholarship of the discipline through active research and/or publishing in journals.
- Demonstrate servant-leadership by engaging in service activities within the university and the larger community.
- Academic. A completed PhD in English, with a specialization in composition and rhetoric, is preferred; ABD is acceptable. Ideally, the candidate will also have at least 18 graduate hours of preparation in Media Communication. ESOL preparation would be a welcome additional qualification. The successful candidate will have an interest in and experience in teaching freshman composition and rhetoric and an active research agenda. Experience in integrating the Christian faith with the teaching and practice of the discipline of English is essential. The entry level of the candidate will be determined by terminal degree, qualifications, and experience.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
- Technology. SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and familiar with the use of technology within the academic environment including distance learning and learning management systems, web-based programs, and PC applications, including all Microsoft Office applications.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS FACULTY POSITION ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.