Full-time Special Education Faculty - Central, SC
Southern Wesleyan University’s School of Education invites applications for an Assistant Professor-level, tenure-track position in Special Education. This position is located at SWU’s main campus in Central, South Carolina and is available to start January or August 2015.
Southern Wesleyan University does not discriminate in hiring and employment practices on the basis of race, national origin, sex, physical handicap, age, or veteran status of the applicant. To be considered for employment, however, applicants must complete an application for employment and a questionnaire giving evidence of a Christian testimony and of a willingness to support the beliefs and practices of the campus community.
- Teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level, face-to-face, and at a distance. SWU’s Special Education undergraduate degree program is multi-categorical and allows for certification of teacher candidates in grades PreK-12 in the areas of learning disabilities, mild to moderate mental disabilities, emotional/behavioral disorders, autism, and traumatic brain injuries. The school of education will also begin offering an online, undergraduate add-on certification in early childhood special education in fall 2013. Graduate level courses in special education are offered online, leading toward an add-on certification in learning disabilities.
- Program development and student recruitment, including the development of a Master of Arts in Teaching program in Special Education.
- Scholarship in the discipline through active research and/or publishing in journals.
- Servant-leadership through engagement in service activities within the university and the larger community.
- Academic. Applicants must hold a PhD in Special Education or a closely related field and have experience in public K-12 education; current K-12 certification is desirable. The candidate should be broadly trained and capable of teaching in a multi-categorical certification program.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
- Technology. SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and familiar with the use of technology within the academic environment including distance learning and learning management systems, web-based programs, and PC applications, including all Microsoft Office applications.
Interested faculty applicants should submit the following materials:
- A letter of application
- A curriculum vitae
- Copies of unofficial transcripts
- A SWU faculty application (select Faculty Application link)
Submit all application materials electronically to or by fax to 864-644-5968; or by mail to Office of the Provost, Southern Wesleyan University, 907 Wesleyan Drive/P.O. Box 1020, Central, SC 29630. For additional information, you may contact 864-644-5002.