Assistant Coach-Baseball - Central, SC
Reporting directly to the Head Coach of the Southern Wesleyan baseball program, the Assistant Coach is responsible for providing support and assistance to the Head Coach in all aspects to ensure a successful intercollegiate baseball program. The Assistant Coach assists in the development of current players, assists in practices, team events, and team functions, and assists the Head Coach in the supervision of program volunteers and student managers affiliated with the Southern Wesleyan baseball program. This is a 10-month position, available August 1, 2014.
SWU will begin competition in Conference Carolinas (NCAA) in Fall 2014 and is currently engaged in the NCAA Division II membership process.
- Attend baseball practices and assist with on field duties as assigned by head coach.
- Periodic check and monitor of weight room sessions and condition sessions by players.
- Provide assistance with fundraising and SWU baseball program outreach.
- Provide assistance with academic support and grade reports.
- Provide assistance with recruiting and data entry.
- Assist coaching staff with game day activities including, but not limited to, pre- and post-game activities such as field maintenance, field preparation, and equipment setup.
- Ensure scouting charts for opponents are being kept accurately.
- Work with head coach in preparing game strategies, lineups, and individual/team workouts and practice needs.
- Serve as positive role model for current, prospective, and past players within the SWU baseball program; serve as a positive ambassador for SWU.
- Ensure compliance with all university rules that may not be specifically outlined in the above duties, but is implied otherwise in college catalogs, employment letter, and or other publications on and off of the field.
- Assist in the maintenance and continuous improvement of SWU's baseball facilities.
- Attend community events, occasional speaking engagements or ancillary meetings within the community to represent the SWU's baseball program.
- Bachelor’s degree obtained or working toward completion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the sport of baseball.
- Previous collegiate playing experience and/or college coaching experience is required.
- Ability to provide effective leadership to student athletes and encourage successful academic achievement and competitive performance.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar will have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files. Requires frequent work in an outside environment (athletic practices, games and other events) along with a moderate to high degree of physical activity involved. The ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment may occur from time to time. Requires travel or work outside of regular work schedule for events or travel. May require infrequent lifting or moving of objects/equipment between 50 to 100 pounds, and occasionally items up to 25 pounds.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a background screening.
This a seasonal (temporary), part-time, non-exempt position: August 1, 2014-May 31, 2015. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED FOR THIS POSITION.