Exercise Specialist - Central, SC
Located at the university's main campus, SWU's Wellness Center will staff an Exercise Specialist who has expertise in cardiovascular disease and the application of secondary prevention principles and strategies. This position supports the establishment of a Wellness Center at SWU aligning the university with new strategic goals for promoting programs that improve the quality of life of our faculty, staff, students and community. Reporting directly to the Wellness Program Supervisor, the Exercise Specialist will provide individualized exercise and nutritional assessment, personalized exercise therapy, non-drug therapy for blood pressure management and therapeutic massage therapy by a licensed massage therapist to the SWU community. This position is available August 2014.
- Assesses clients’ risk factors that are modifiable and offers support and strategies to aid patient in successful therapeutic lifestyle changes (TLC).
- Communicates with clients in a respectful way that reflects our Christian faith, and communicates effectively with team members about individual client findings or concerns and about program improvement ideas.
- Leads in the supervision of individual and group exercise sessions.
- Reinforces concept of healthy lifestyle by words and actions.
- Strives toward proficiency in the core competencies related to an Exercise Specialist including, but not limited to: knowledge and skill in risk factor and health status identification; fitness appraisal; exercise prescription; and the ability to educate and/or counsel individuals regarding lifestyle modification.
- Reports pertinent information concerning clients to the Wellness Program Supervisor and other appropriate professional staff.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality concerning clients’ and families’ medical and personal information.
- Assists, as directed, in emergency situations.
- Attends all staff meetings. If unable to attend, obtains information from meeting minutes or another staff member.
- Develops a basic marketing strategy for faculty, staff, students and community members that alerts them to wellness opportunities available to them using a variety of electronic and print media including a dedicated wellness webpage.
- Other duties as capable and assigned by the professional staff (Wellness Program Supervisor, Counseling and Health Services staff, Vice President for Student Life). This includes, but is not limited to, taking blood pressures, assessing heart rates, conducting exercise risk assessments, providing therapeutic massage.
- Candidate will develop a system to report the number and type of wellness visits and report those monthly.
- Candidate must obtain CEUs to maintain certification and/or licensure.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in exercise science and licensure as a massage therapist (LMT).
- Requires current CPR certification.
- Demonstrates experience in or ability to perform identified skills and behaviors and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates ability to model and teach Christian principles as they relate to a healthy lifestyle.
- Requires experience with or ability to learn basic marketing principles and strategies for promoting SWU’s Wellness Program.
- Candidate must be familiar with integrated database management systems, including reporting, and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files. Candidate must have a health and fitness level that permits demonstration and instruction in exercise therapy.The position will, at times, require a flexible working schedule based on the needs and interest of the participants. Limited travel to local hospitals, physician offices or other health related institutions may be required.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
salary and benefits
This is a 10-month, part-time, non-exempt position; 27.5 hours/week, 5.5 hours/day, Monday-Friday. Salary - $17,975/year.
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED.