Financial Aid Counselor (Traditional Program) - Central, SC
Located at SWU's main campus in Central, South Carolina, and reporting to the Assistant Director of Financial Aid, the Financial Aid Counselor manages all aspects of financial aid for eligible students, including but not limited to processing awards, file management, customer service, and liaison work with the Student Accounts Office, Academic Records, and the Admissions Office.
Utilize financial aid software to generate reports and communicate effectively with students and parents. Develop a positive relationship with new and continuing students to provide excellent customer service.
- General office management including filing, typing, record keeping, and schedule maintenance.
- Daily process all incoming mail and documents received from Admissions. Create physical files and electronic files in Powerfaids.
- Daily, process electronic ISIRs received. Update student information as needed, and mail or email appropriate letters as required. Perform verification of FAFSA information per federal regulations.
- Weekly, generate and distribute batch letters for students coded in application tracking status with outstanding documents.
- Follow up by phone during regular office hours and during the evening, as needed.
- Provide financial aid counseling for all prospective and current traditional students.
- Cooperate with the Admissions Office, providing assistance in the recruitment of new students.
- Assist the Student Accounts Office by providing financial aid information to determine if students with an outstanding balance are eligible for additional financial aid.
- Generate reports in Powerfaids.
- Assist the Work Study Coordinator in processing Work Study files and time sheets as needed.
- Attend annual financial aid seminars and/or conferences as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director and Assistant Director of Financial Aid.
- Associate degree required; bachelor’s degree strongly preferred. Three to five years of previous work in an office environment, with a good working knowledge of Excel; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working in a higher education environment is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with office management techniques is essential along with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills; excellent writing and editorial skills are required.
- Confidentiality, integrity and discretion are essential.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision or instruction, the willingness to work in a team environment, and a commitment to customer service are essential.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar with integrated database management systems, including reporting, and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files. Ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment. May require infrequent lifting of objects up to 10 pounds, and occasionally items up to 20 pounds. May require employee to infrequently work outside of regular work schedule for special events.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a background screening.
This is a regular, full-time, non-exempt position. Salary Level IV - $28,506/year.
Interested applicants must send a completed staff application with a cover letter and résumé by e-mail to Keri Stewart, Human Resources Coordinator, by email to , or by mail to: