Human Resources Assistant - Central, SC
Reporting directly to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Assistant has an active role in the management of the university's faculty and staff recruitment processes and in maintaining the viability of human resources information within the university’s integrated database management system. In addition, the Assistant provides robust administrative support for the functions of the Human Resources office. There is a high level of interaction and collaboration with the Director of Human Resources, the Payroll Office, as well as various academic and administrative departments.
This position is available October 1, 2014.
- Active participation in the management of tracking systems that will follow the applicant from receipt of inquiry and/or application through initial screening, distribution of applications to search committees, interviews, evaluation/credentialing, employment offer or non-selection, and onboarding.
- Research and identify resources, methods, and media for promoting employment opportunities at SWU internally and externally. These efforts may include internal referrals, professional networking, employment websites, information sessions, career fairs, conferences, and other special events. Includes developing contacts and relationships within public/private organizations and membership or involvement in relevant professional associations.
- Assist in monitoring changes that could impact faculty and staff recruiting and selection including degree programs, enrollment projections, facilities growth, organizational restructuring, employment-related policies, procedures, regulations and initiatives, changes in technology, and current trends in job search processes.
- Conduct pre-employment background screenings for all new faculty and staff.
- Assist with training and provide support for hiring managers/search committees about SWU’s hiring processes.
- Ensure complete, current, accurate and viable HR-related data within SWU's integrated database management system (Jenzabar). This includes data entry, maintenance, and auditing of HR data.
- Fulfill requests for HR-related information and generating reports, as needed.
- Assist the HR Director with data collection and submission of recurring employee information reports and surveys.
- Maintain accuracy and currency of published faculty and staff information including web and printed directories.
- Assist with HR-sponsored/organized events.
- Assist with development of initial onboarding program for new faculty and staff.
- Assist with research of employment-related issues including compliance, state and federal regulations, and employment trends.
- Assist with development of HR-related strategies and initiatives that support the mission of the HR department and the mission and vision of SWU.
- Maintain knowledge of university policy and procedures, basic employee benefits information, new hire and termination processes, and federal and state employment and compliance issues.
- A bachelor’s degree is required in human resources, business, education, marketing or a related field.
- At least three years’ experience in higher education in an administrative or academic support role is highly desired. A combination of education and relevant work experience in the areas of recruiting, marketing or human resources will be considered.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential. A high comfort level for communicating and interacting with all levels of the university's organizational structure, from students to support staff, to faculty and administrators. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with internal and external constituents is critical.
- Diplomacy, tact, and sensitivity are essential. Evidence of spiritual discernment and maturity are required. Must be comfortable speaking about spiritual matters as they relate to mission fit, integration of faith and learning, and SWU’s lifestyle/community expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive employee-related issues and personal information is absolutely essential.
- Ability to identify trends, tools and resources for developing and implementing recruiting solutions is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to manage detail-oriented information with attention to accuracy and timeliness. Experience with HR information systems or integrated database management systems is preferred.
- Excellent organization skills, self-direction and self-motivation are critical. Creativity in communication and problem-solving is required. Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and to manage a schedule and deadlines is required.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will have experience with integrated database management systems, including reporting, and have a high level of proficiency with web-based and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements.Visual acuity necessary to use a desktop computer and to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files. Requires ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment. May require infrequent lifting of objects up to 10 pounds, and occasionally items up to 20 pounds.May include infrequent travel or work outside of regular work schedule for special events or travel.
- Skills Assessment. A skills assessment will be administered to interviewed candidates which will measure aptitude for proofing, editing and formatting communications, and PowerPoint, Excel and Internet skills.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
Regular, full-time, non-exempt position. Salary Level V - $29,667/year.
APPLICATIONS PROCESS IS CLOSED FOR THIS POSITION.