Reference Librarian (Part-time) - Central, SC
This position serves as part of the reference team for the Rickman Library. The primary focus of the librarians is to provide quality service to our students, faculty, and staff. This includes students located on the main campus in Central and those who attend classes at our regional learning centers or online. This librarian will help meet this goal, in part, by providing services at various times according to the needs of the library schedule, which will include evening and Saturday schedules. Reports to the Director of Library Services. This position is available August 1, 2014.
- Provide reference assistance for university students, including traditional face-to-face and non-traditional students, including those in distance learning programs.
- Participate in supervision of work study assistants.
- Perform basic library operational duties, including circulation and building supervision.
- Assist in library planning, assessment, and reporting.
- Assist in the development of library policies and procedures.
- Assist in the provision of information literacy activities.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- MLS degree or equivalent from ALA accredited institution.
- Experience with providing high quality reference services using print and online resources via various formats, including virtual means. Prefer experience in an academic environment.
- Prefer experience working with electronic and multimedia technologies for learning.
- Prefer experience with information literacy activities.
- Prefer experience working with integrated library computer system.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to collaborate with diverse constituents.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be familiar with varied computer applications, including, but not limited to, the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents, and manage files.Requires ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment. May require infrequent lifting of objects up to 10 pounds, and occasionally items up to 20 pounds.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
This is a regular, part-time, non-exempt position; some benefits. Salary Level VII - $20,017/year (53% of full-time).
The application review process will begin immediately. Interested applicants must send a completed staff application with a cover letter and curriculum vita by e-mail to , by fax to 864-644-5904, or by mail to: