Safety/Security Officer (Weekend Shift) - Central, SC
The Safety/Security Officer is charged with the responsibility of patrolling the campus during an assigned shift. The officer reports to the Vice President for Student Life. Work schedule is Friday/Saturday, 6:00 p.m.-6:00 a.m.; approximately 24 hours a week. This position is available September 11, 2015.
- Checks all campus buildings to ensure they are secured. This check should be made several times during a shift. Most buildings should be locked by 11:00 p.m.
- Patrols regularly the area around the residence halls to observe anything out of the ordinary.
- Files a written nightly report with the Vice President for Student Life. Note the names of any students involved in incidents in the daily report.
- Calls Central police (864-639-4020), as needed.
- Carries cellular phone at all times for communication purposes. Responds to all calls on the office phone or cell phone.
- The security officer is not to apprehend but report any problems to the Central Police Department if immediate attention is needed and to the Vice President for Student Life.
- Patrols parking areas and the campus.
- Makes sure everyone is out of snack shop and Blue Hill Coffee & Tea Company at closing time; ensures doors to the Campus Life Center are secured.
- The campus gates should be locked daily at 11:00 p.m. and unlocked daily between 5:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- Checks the Event Calendar to provide support for groups that are scheduled through Conference Services.
- Provides escort or assistance to any student or faculty/staff, as requested.
- Unlocks the front doors of the Campus Life Center on Sunday morning.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, by the Vice President for Student Life.
- High school diploma is required.
- Experience in the security field is preferred.
- Possesses interpersonal communication skills that demonstrate respect for all campus constituents.
- Must be capable of obtaining South Carolina Law Enforcement Division certification.
- Demonstrates the ability to make well-informed decisions, solve problems, and manage confidential issues.
- Possesses a high degree of integrity and trustworthiness.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, commit to the mission of the University, respect the beliefs of the Wesleyan Church, adhere to its lifestyle expectations, and demonstrate a mature relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Physical ability to work both indoors and outdoors. Must have a clean driving record and be able to drive. Must be able to walk up and down stairs/steps when locking or unlocking facilities. May require infrequent lifting of objects up to 20 pounds, and occasionally items up to 50 pounds.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
This is a part-time, 12-month, hourly, non-exempt position. Salary Level II - $11.04/hour.
Interested applicants must send a completed staff application with a cover letter and résumé by e-mail to , by fax to 864-644-5980, or by mail to: