Site Assistant - Greenville, SC
Located at Southern Wesleyan University's (SWU) Greenville Learning Center, this position is supportive in nature and reports to the Student Services Coordinator. The primary working relationships are with Academic Records, Deans’ Assistants, adjunct and full-time faculty, students, and with personnel in other departments within the university. The Site Assistant supports the mission of Southern Wesleyan University, ensuring optimum customer service, offering support to students, faculty, and staff, and encouraging students, faculty, and staff to integrate faith and learning as integral parts of daily living. The position provides feedback to the Student Services Coordinator and supports retention initiatives by providing the highest quality student services. The purpose of the department is to ensure students are having the best possible learning experience. The work hours are Monday through Thursday (4:30 p.m.- 10:00 pm); approximately 27 hours/week. Flexible hours, some weekend work, and some travel may be required.
This position is available in early October 2014.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for currently enrolled students during their class times.
- Ensure smooth operation of the learning center in the evening, including oversight, administrative assistance, and technical assistance.
- Assist the Student Services Coordinator with routine clerical and physical set-up needs.
- Assist faculty and students with technology support and general information.
- Responsible for closing the facility when classes are in session.
- High school diploma required; associate’s degree or some college preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize concerns, requests and expectations to meet deadlines.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office applications (Word, Publisher, Outlook, and Excel) and office equipment such as a fax machine and copier.
- Capacity to work effectively and cooperatively with students, university faculty, and administration.
- Proactive style in pursuing resolutions to student issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Requires the ability to effectively communicate program policies and procedures to students, as well as effective communication with faculty, staff and administrators in various university departments.
- Multi-tasking skills; must be detail-oriented.
- Excellent keyboarding skills.
- Desire to be a team player.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar with office technology (fax, copier, scanner, computer), and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Indoor work environment. Ability to operate computer keyboard and other office equipment. Heavy visual acuity for preparing and analyzing data, transcription, computer terminal visualization. Requires frequent lifting of objects up to 40 pounds. May require infrequent travel or work outside of regular work schedule for special events.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion of a criminal background screening.
This is a regular, 12-month, part-time, hourly, non-exempt position. Salary Level II - $10.93/hour.
The application review process will begin immediately. Interested applicants must send a completed staff application with a cover letter and résumé by e-mail to , or by mail to:
Applicants will only be contacted if their qualifications and experience match the requirements for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.