Sports Information Director - Central, SC
Southern Wesleyan University, a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution, is accepting applications for the position of Sports Information Director. SWU is a provisional member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA). SWU currently competes in the very competitive Conference Carolinas'. SWU is anticipating becoming a full member to the NCAA II by the Summer of 2016.
Located in the upstate region of South Carolina, Southern Wesleyan University sits just minutes from Clemson University of the ACC. Southern Wesleyan University is dedicated to the concept that God is the source of all truth and wisdom. Its mission is to create an atmosphere in which members of the university community work together toward wholeness through the integration of personal faith, intellectual pursuits, and practical living. The university seeks to meet the needs of students with various abilities and backgrounds, enabling them to realize their personal and professional educational goals.
Reporting directly to the Director of Athletics, the Sports Information Director will be responsible for aiding the Department of Athletics and head coaches by coordinating communications about Warrior Athletics including schedules, webcasts, competition results and statistics, athlete/coach profiles, awards, service and interest stories. This position will also be responsible for the coordination/ supervision of all home contests.
- Work in close collaboration with the Office of Marketing and Communications staffs to advance the Warrior Athletics mission and the campus’ mission, vision and branding.
- Serve as the primary media contact for the athletic department and the 15 varsity sports.
- Supervise the writing of press releases to be published on the athletic website and sent to media outlets.
- Serve as the public relations agent for the athletics department in developing positive relations with media representatives.
- Produce media guides for each of the varsity sports that will be available on the athletic website.
- Oversee maintenance, with periodical updates, of all portions of the website.
- Develop and produce game day programs for each of the 15 varsity sports.
- Compile, update and report statistics for each of the 15 sports to maintain compliance with the NAIA, NCAA and the NCCAA.
- Assist the coaching staff in meeting deadlines for the NAIA, NCAA and NCCAA.
- Organize and produce the annual sports awards program (SWUPY’s).
- Hire and supervise qualified and reliable event staff, including but not limited to: clock, shot clock, ticket table, video, statistician, and an announcer/music.
- Manage teams and fans during events.
- Provide setup and teardown of game/venue equipment, including but not limited to bleachers, scoring table, clock, scoreboard, corner flags, and sound system.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, public relations, sport management or a related field.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working in an intercollegiate sports information department (NAIA/NCAA II preferred).
- Requires working knowledge of athletic statistics. Prefer candidates who have experience working with NAIA/NCAA statistical software (prefer prior use of StatCrew software).
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop and website maintenance is essential.
- Should have the ability to create and edit highlight videos as well as have experience with social media.
- Experience developing and presenting educational sessions, meetings and training sessions for support staff.
- Regular interaction with collegiate coaches and student-athletes.
- Must have excellent written (in AP style) and oral communication skills, and strong organizational skills.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
- SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals; the ideal candidate will be familiar with integrated database management systems, including reporting, and have a high comfort level with web-based, mobile and PC applications including but not limited to the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). (See items 2 through 5 above for other technical requirements.)
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations.
- Physical/Environmental Requirements. Visual acuity necessary to do editorial work, proof documents and web content, and manage files. Requires frequent work in an outside environment (athletic events) and ability to sit for periods of time in an interior office environment. Requires travel or work outside of regular work schedule for events or travel. May require infrequent lifting or moving of objects/equipment between 50 to100 pounds, and occasionally items up to 25 pounds.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening and credit check.
This is a 12-month, full-time, non-exempt position; Salary Level V - $29,964/year with benefits.
A review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants must send a completed staff application, cover letter and résumé via email to , or by mail to:
Applicants will only be contacted if their qualifications and experience match the requirements for this position. ONLY EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE RESPONDED TO. PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS.