“Happy Days” Homecoming is Nov. 5 at SWU
This year’s Homecoming brings back the ’50s, featuring a day filled with activities Nov. 5 at Southern Wesleyan University’s campus in Central.
Events include a car show, “drive-in” movie, reunion luncheons, a 5k run, organ showcase, children’s inflatables, arts and crafts, and plenty of action from the Warriors men’s and women’s basketball teams. Athletic events are free, as are the children’s area, car show and arts and crafts show.
“We are excited about this year’s homecoming activities and are inviting the community to join our alumni and friends for a day filled with fun,” said Joy Bryant, executive director of alumni and community relations at Southern Wesleyan.
Reunion groups are now being formed for the classes of 1961, 1971, 1981, 1991 and 2001, as well as “The Real Senior Class” of alumni prior to 1960.
For details, contact the Alumni Center at Southern Wesleyan University at 1-800-282-8798, ext. 5384, e-mail or go online to www.swu.edu.
Here is a detailed schedule of Homecoming Activities Nov. 5:
8 a.m. – 5K run
- Sponsored by Alpha Sigma Lambda Honor Society (Registration $20 per runner $15 for students – Funds raised will go to support local charities and SWU scholarships)
8:30-9:30 a.m. – Homecoming Coffee at the President’s Home
10 a.m. – Organ Showcase, Newton Hobson Chapel and Fine Arts Center
- Featuring SWU Alumnus Nathan Bryson.
10:30-11:30 a.m. – Homecoming Chapel, Newton Hobson Chapel and Fine Arts Center
- Featuring SWU alumnus Davey Blackburn of NewSpring, based in Anderson S.C.
11 a.m.-4 p.m. – Bookstore open
11:45 a.m. – Homecoming Coronation, Newton Hobson Chapel and Fine Arts Center
12:30 p.m. – Lunch
- Open to everyone in University Dinning Commons pay at the door $7.51
Special Lunch Reunions:
- Class of 1991, Class of 2001 pay as you go through the University Dinning Commons. Reserved seating for members of these classes to re-connect will be located in the back left section of the dining commons. No RSVP required for these groups.
- Special Reunion Class Lunches ($15 per person, RSVP is required by Oct. 28)
- Class of 1981- Founders’ Hall – Teeter Hall
- Class of 1971 - Founders’ Hall – Harrington Hall
- Class of 1961- Founders’ Hall – Smith Hall
- Classes of 1950-1956- Founders’ Hall - Clayton Hall
- “The Real Senior Class” over 50 yrs.- Founders’ Hall - Clayton Hall
- Noon-4 p.m. – Children’s inflatables, Arts/Crafts, 1950’s music and Car Show (weather permitting)
2 p.m. – Lady Warriors Basketball vs. Barber Scotia, Historic Tysinger Gym
4 p.m. – Men’s Basketball vs. Barber Scotia College, Historic Tysinger Gym
4-6 p.m. – Dinner on the grounds
6:30 p.m. – Alumni Walk
- All alumni are invited to purchase a brick and have it placed in the new alumni walk ($100 per brick).
6:30 p.m. – Drive In
- As the sun goes down, finish off a perfect day with friends and enjoy the evening lying on a blanket or bring your lawn chair for the SWU “Drive-in,” also featuring free popcorn for everyone.