Marker tells story of historic church
The South Carolina Heritage Corridor – Mountain Lakes Region, in conjunction with Southern Wesleyan University, erected an interpretive marker Oct. 24 in front of Freedom’s Hill Church. The historic church was originally built in the Snow Camp community of what is now Alamance County, N.C. and dedicated in March 1848. It was moved to Southern Wesleyan’s campus in Central in 2000. The marker tells the dramatic history of church-goers who stood against slavery and faced violent opposition in the years before the Civil War. The marker was made possible through a grant applied for by the Central Heritage Society to the South Carolina Heritage Corridor.