University golf tournament to tee off, raise funds
The annual Southern Wesleyan University P.B. Wood Golf Tournament will be teeing off on Oct. 18 at Pickens Country Club.
The tournament raises money for the Promise Fund, which supports student scholarships as well as academic and student programs. This event is named in honor of Dr. Paul Baker Wood, a noted psychologist and Southern Wesleyan University professor emeritus.
The tournament is captain’s choice style and has slots for 36 teams of four.
The entry fee is $400 per team or $100 per player. This fee covers greens fees, cart fees, a polo shirt, breakfast, lunch and the various snacks throughout the day.
More than $4,500 in 2010 Cobra products will be awarded. Prizes include:
- 1st Place: Set of Cobra irons (retail $749 per set)
- 2nd Place: Cobra driver (retail $269 per club)
- 3rd Place: Cobra hybrid/fairway wood (retail $149 per club)
- 2 Closest to pin: Cobra wedge
- 1 Longest drive: Cobra wedge (retail value $89 per club)
There are special incentives for new players and for veteran players who recruit new players. A hole-in-one contest with prizes totaling more than $40,000 will also be part of the tournament.
Tournament sponsors include:
- Title sponsor: First Citizens Bank
- Co-sponsors: Palmetto Insurance Company and Ram Technologies
- Corporate sponsors: The Parkette of Pickens and Aramark
- Hole sponsors: Elizabeth Baker, Sharp Business Systems, Ronald Brank, Techtronic Industries North America Inc., Pickens Culvert and Pipe, Creative DataProducts, Scott Dover and Total Comfort Solutions
- Tee sponsors: Forms and Supply Inc., Pace and Reeves BP, Thomas Realty, China Wok, Waters Orthodontics, Piedmont Pest Control, Carolina Ad Specialty, Wendy’s of Clemson and Seneca National Bank
- Cart sponsors: Village Inn, Whitaker Tires, JD Sports, Bivens Hardware, Corner Grill, Sophia’s Alterations, D&M Golf Car and Big League BBQ
- Hole in One Insurance Sponsor: Piedmont Landscaping
Sponsorships are still available at various levels. Pastries are being provided by Aramark and a mid-day snack will be provided by Chick-fil-A of Anderson. The post-tournament meal will be catered by The Parkette of Pickens.
To play, sponsor or support Southern Wesleyan University’s Promise Fund, please contact Mary Costello at (864) 644-5014 or .