Fine Arts Scholarships
All prospective music majors are required to audition for acceptance into the music department. The audition is an opportunity to present studies or compositions that best represent a student’s performance capabilities. The top students to audition will be eligible to receive the newly created Joan and Thomas Phillippe Young Artist Award. The winners of the Young Artist Awards who enroll at Southern Wesleyan as music majors will receive a scholarship award that may be renewed annually during four years of study subject to their continued advancement as determined by the Department of Music.
- February 22, 2013
- March 22, 2013
- April 19, 2013
Other important audition information
- The student should bring a list of significant musical accomplishments while in high school or college to the audition.
- All auditions must be completed by April 20 to be considered for the Phillippe Scholarship Award.
- Awards will be based on performance, sight-reading and musical background.
- Contact Professor Jane Dill to set up an audition time or to request an accompanist. Prof. Dill may be contacted at or at (864)644-5404.
- Other dates may be requested if the student is unable to attend one of the announced dates.
The following are guidelines for selecting audition material:
Prepare two compositions in contrasting styles. Choose at least one composition from standard classical literature. At least one composition should be performed from memory. Sight-reading is also required.
Prepare two songs in contrasting styles. Choose at least one selection from classical literature(NATS, All-State, Solo/Ensemble lists will provide a guideline). Both selections should be memorized. If possible, one song should be in a foreign language (Italian, French, German, Spanish or Latin). Sight-reading is also required. Please bring your own accompanist or sheet music for our staff accompanist.
Wind, Percussion and Strings (including guitar)
Prepare two selections in contrasting styles plus sight-reading. Play major scales preferably at the All-State Senior Band level, but at a minimum one octave. Play chromatic scale over the entire working register of your instrument. Please bring your own accompanist or sheet music for our staff accompanist. Be prepared to sight read at least two selections.