The Quality Enhancement Project (QEP) at Southern Wesleyan University
QEP Project I
Embedded in: ENGL1013-English 101 (the second English course both traditional and AGS students take)
Project Description: A research paper related to the student's novel that they read during this course AND reflection essay about the research process.
Project Criteria: 5 pages in length; minimum 10 sources consulted; minimum of 5 sources cited in the paper. No more than half of the sources are websites.
QEP Project II
Embedded in: RELG2403-Basic Christian Beliefs (a required component of the core curriculum for both traditional and AGS students)
Project Description: A research paper related to a theological topic AND reflection essay about the research process.
Project Criteria: 8-10 pages in length; minimum 10 sources consulted; minimum of 8 sources cited in the paper.
QEP Project III
Embedded in: Any upper level course with a significant research component.
Project Description: A paper or project with a strong research component that requires analysis and synthesis of various scholarly sources within the student's major or discipline AND reflection essay about the research process.
Project Criteria: should be of greater length and source requirements than Project I and II. Suggested minimum criteria: 10 pages in length (more may be appropriate) and minimum10 sources cited (more may be appropriate) in the paper.
NOTE: The QEP III Project is meant to be a culminating experience for students in terms of showing growth in the areas of information literacy. However, it is also meant to be as flexible as possible for faculty administering courses with the QEP Project III in them. Faculty should feel free to create project criteria that meets the goals of the course, within the guidelines above. Please contact Shannon Brooks ( /864-644-5072) if you have any questions.
Faculty teaching courses with QEP III projects embedded within them should expect to:
- Utilize a research-based assignment that already exists within their course as the QEP Project III research paper or project, understanding that it may need to be tweaked somewhat to meet QEP Project III expectations.
- Understand both the QEP Research Rubric & QEP Reflection Rubric.
- Understand how to assess work within Chalk & Wire.
- Be able to explain the rubrics and Chalk & Wire system to their students, and/or point their students toward resources available to them that will walk them through how to use Chalk & Wire. These resources are available in the "Tutoring & Accommodations" section of MyCampus.
- Include both QEP Rubrics in your course syllabus or as a handout.
- Take a few minutes of class time to go over the rubrics.
- Encourage students to keep a "research journal"--this will make the reflection essay easier for them to complete at the end of the course.
- Take a few minutes of class time to go over Chalk & Wire CLOSE TO the point students will submit their projects to the system.
- Schedule a library session for your students to help them better understand how to locate, evaluate and use information for their paper/project.