Computer Requirements for Online Programs
Before you begin an online program at Southern Wesleyan University, you will want to be sure you have all the technical resources you need. Review these general technical requirements listed to be sure:
- Regular access to a reliable computer (operating system: Windows 8, 7, 2000, XP, or Apple OS X)
- Minimum DSL internet connection recommended
- Access to your SWU email
- Modern internet browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (or higher), Google Chrome 22 (or higher), Mozilla Firefox 17 (or higher), or Apple Safari 5 (or higher) - please see note below
- Cookies must be enabled
- Allow pop-up windows
- MS Office 2010 (or higher)
- Antivirus software program
- CD-ROM drive (required for some courses)
- Sound card (required for some courses)
- Access to specialty software (required for some courses)
These are the minimum requirements for distance learning courses at SWU. Be sure to check with your instructor concerning additional requirements.
Note: We have found that the security settings within Internet Explorer prevent successful use of Canvas and many of the LTI's associated with it, so our recommendation is to use FireFox. The majority of our end-user issues are resolved by taking this simple step. FireFox is a free and relatively easy download.