Computer Requirements for Online Programs
Before you begin an online program at Southern Wesleyan University, you will want to be sure you have all the technical resources you need. Review these general technical requirements listed to be sure:
- Regular access to a reliable computer (operating system: Windows 8, 7, 2000, or Apple OS X)
- High speed Internet access
- Access to your SWU email
- Cookies must be enabled
- Allow pop-up windows
- MS Office 2010 (or higher)
- Antivirus software program
- CD-ROM drive (required for some courses)
- Sound card (required for some courses)
- Access to specialty software (required for some courses)
These are the minimum requirements for distance learning courses at SWU. Be sure to check with your instructor concerning additional requirements.
Canvas, our learning management system, supports only the latest two versions of each internet browser release. We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plug-in. As of March 2014, Canvas supports the following desktop browsers and Flash versions:
- Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11 (note: IE 9 will no longer be supported as of May 24, 2014)
- Chrome 32 and 33
- Safari 6 and 7
- Firefox 26 and 27
- Flash 10, 11, and 12 (if you want to use the audio/video recording or viewing feature or upload files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser 4.0
Note: We have found that the security settings within Internet Explorer prevent successful use of Canvas and many of the LTI's associated with it, so our recommendation is to use FireFox. The majority of our end-user issues are resolved by taking this simple step. FireFox is a free and relatively easy download.
Southern Wesleyan University is excited to offer Microsoft Office365 Pro Plus to all SWU students. Office365 Pro Plus allows students to download Microsoft Office Professional 2013 onto a maximum for 5 computers for free. This offering of Office 2013 is available once a student is in class and has received their SWU email account.