Tuition and Costs
2015-2016 Tuition, Room, Board and Fee Schedule
The value of a Christian education is one of the few really important investments in life. Southern Wesleyan University provides an outstanding educational experience at a reasonable cost. We offer many resources and are committed to assisting you. We can help in obtaining scholarships and grants, federal and state aid, campus employment and/or loans to help you finance your education at Southern Wesleyan.
- The average Southern Wesleyan University graduate finishes with $19,257 in loan debt. This compares to the national average of $29,400 as of 2013. Source: Institute for College Access & Success
- The current average financial aid package at Southern Wesleyan University without utilizing loans is $15,150. This reduces the tuition “sticker price” from $23,020 to $7,870. Additional assistance is available with the use of student loans that have favorable interest rates.
- According to Pew Research, the median annual earnings among full-time workers ages 25 to 32 in 2012 was $15,500 higher for those with a bachelor’s degree or more compared to those with a 2-year degree or some college.
- The 2014-2015 Council for Christian Colleges and Universities listed Southern Wesleyan University at 86 out of 117 among member institutions when it comes tuition rates (1 being highest tuition rate and 117 being lowest).
- For some interesting data on the value of a college education, read this article by Pew Research, The Rising Cost of Not Going to College.
|Basic Full-Time Expenses (per year)|
|Tuition for the year (2015 - 2016)||$23,020|
|Combined Fees for year||$450|
|Room for year (double)||$3,100 (minimum)|
|Board for year||$4,920|
|Total Basic Costs||$31,490|
This amount is prior to any financial aid being awarded. Apartments and Mullinax have a different Room & Board structure. Other fees may apply for those students taking labs and private music lessons.
Complete Tuition and Fee SchedulE
2015-2016 Residential Campus Undergraduate Program
(All prices are in US dollars and per semester unless otherwise indicated.)
|Tuition - block of 12-18 credit hours||
|Part-time Tuition - fewer than 12 hours (per credit hour under block)||
|Overload Tuition - more than 18 hours (per credit hour over block)||
|Summer School Tuition - On campus (per credit hour)||
|Summer School Tuition - Online (per course)||
|Senior Citizen Tuition - 65 and older (per credit hour) (10% part-time tuition)||
|High School Student Tuition (per credit hour) (10% part-time tuition)||
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||
|Tuition Deposit (non-refundable after May1 for Fall and Dec 1 for Spring)||
|Activity Fee (full-time)||
|Activity Fee (6-11 credit hours)||
|Technology Fee for High School Student (per credit hour)||
|Private Music Lessons (per credit hour)||
|Student Teaching Fee (semester of teaching only)||
|Departmental Exam Fee (10% part-time tuition) (per credit hour)||
|Kayaking Laboratory Fee||30|
|Scuba Laboratory Fee||275|
|Clemson Co-op Fee (per credit hour)||
|Directed Study Fee (per credit hour charge)||
|Auditing Fee (per credit hour)(10% part-time tuition)||
|Credit by Exam (CLEP, PEP, USAFI, DANTES)||
|Returned Check Fee||
Room and Board
|Mullinax Hall - Double||
|Mullinax Hall – Single||
|Stuart Bennett Dorm — Double||
|Stuart Bennett Dorm — Single||
|Childs Hall – Double||
|Childs Hall – Single||
|14 Meal Plan*||
|21 Meal Plan**||
|Room security deposit (all housing)***||
*The 14 meal plan is a minimum requirement for apartment residents.
** The 21 meal plan is required of all students who reside in Stuart Bennett, Childs, and Mullinax.
*** Rooms are reserved upon receipt of the deposit (incoming students). The room security deposit is refundable upon graduation or transfer, provided that rooms occupied have been returned to the school in the condition in which they were rented and the accounts have been cleared.
Microsoft Office 365
Southern Wesleyan University is excited to offer Microsoft Office365 Pro Plus to all SWU students. Office365 Pro Plus allows students to download Microsoft Office Professional 2013 onto a maximum for 5 computers for free. This offering of Office 2013 is available once a student is in class and has received their SWU email account.
Traditional Undergraduate Campus Program
Southern Wesleyan University considers the acceptance of a registration slip as a contract binding the student for charges for the entire semester.
However, when withdrawal from school or a class becomes necessary, reduction in charges (tuition-only) will be made according to the following scale:
- During 1st week of the semester: 100%
- 2nd week of the semester: 100%
- 3rd week of the semester: 75%
- 4th week of the semester: 50%
- 5th week of the semester: 25%
After the fifth week there will be no reduction in tuition charges.
There will be no refund of fees after the second week.
Meal plans will be adjusted on a weekly basis, any part of a week counting as a whole week.
Room will be adjusted by the month, any part of a month counting as a whole month (4 weeks equal 1 month). No refunds will be made on rooms after 8 weeks (2 months).
No refund will be issued to students compelled to leave school for disciplinary reasons.
One day of summer session is equivalent to one week of regular session. Summer school is charged at the rate of 25% per day. Summer online courses may have a withdrawal fee assessed if a student drops the course after the educational resources have been shipped or an e-book has been viewed. If the unused, unmarred educational resources are returned to the University, the withdrawal fee may be removed.
No refund will be made for private music lessons missed unless the student has made proper arrangements ahead of time.