FAFSA Code: 003422
Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA must be submitted each year to determine eligibility for need-based grants, work and loans.
- Complete and file your 2015 federal tax returns for both the student and parents (or spouse as appropriate).
- File the FAFSA electronically (www.fafsa.gov) and instead of entering the students and parents tax information manually, click on “LINK TO IRS.” The tax information will automatically be entered from the Internal Revenue Service database onto the FAFSA.
This should allow for accurate information to be submitted and if selected for verification, this should greatly reduce the amount of time and effort needed to complete requirements for financial aid processing, awarding, and notification.
You are unable to use this IRS option if any of the following apply:
- You are married and filed separately.
- If a parent has a change of marital status after December 31, 2015.
- If anyone filed an amended tax return.
If the student is a South Carolina resident and if the FAFSA is not completed by June 30, the student will lose eligibility for the South Carolina Tuition Grant.