College Move-in Day can be one of the most fun yet stressful times in your life, especially if you have no idea what you really need to bring to make a dorm room into your comfy getaway. SWU provides a Housing Checklist for the basics; but lucky for you, I have also compiled a more comprehensive list of the necessities (and some extra little fun things) based on my three years' experience as a resident student. With this list, I hope you can make your new room feel like a "home away from home."
- Twin XL Sheet Set - make sure you get Twin XL. Normal Twin is too short!
- Mattress Topper - these provide some extra cushion and comfort but… they do make it harder to get out of bed in the morning…
- Mattress cover - depending on where you live on campus, SWU might provide one, but these are great to have.
- Bedside shelf
- Reading lamp
- Planner - gotta keep yourself organized!
- Stapler - yes…you’ll have that professor that wants everything turned in by hand.
- Tape dispenser
- Index Cards
- Paper Clips
- Push Pins
- Sticky Notes
- Power Strips/Extension Cords
- Minifridge - trust me…this isn’t an “extra.” It’s a necessity!
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Small Dishware Set
- Dish Soap
- Paper Towels
- Trash Bags, Trash Bags, Trash Bags!
- Trash Can
- Clothes Hamper
- Detergent/Dryer Sheets
- Ironing Board/Iron or Steamer
- Towel and Washcloth Set
- Shower Caddy - when you’re sharing a space with three or more people, there’s really not enough room for everyone to keep their personal items in the shower. This just helps you keep yours separate and organized.
- First Aid Kit
- Cleaning Supplies
- Shower Curtains - SWU doesn’t always provide shower curtains
- Toilet Paper - this can be worked out between you and your roommates. Try to set up a system for who buys when.
- Curling Iron/Hair Dryer/Straightener
- Backpack - from all the textbooks you’ll be carrying around, you’ll have back issues by the time you’re 30.
- Tool Set - trust me, you never really know when you’ll need it!
- Broom/Dust Pan
- Umbrella/Rain Jacket
- Command Strips/Hooks - THESE WILL BE YOUR BEST FRIEND!
- Full-Length Mirror
This is a special section of things that you can wait until after move-in day for. These things would probably be best to plan with your roommate(s).
- Area Rug - these can add so much color and life to a room!
- Games/Board Games
Learn more about your SWU's residence halls on our Housing and Dining page!