Southern Wesleyan University, a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution, is accepting applications for the position of Head Coach for Men’s and Women’s Tennis. SWU is a full member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the National Christian College Athletic Association (NCCAA). SWU currently competes in the very competitive Conference Carolinas’.
Located in the upstate region of South Carolina, Southern Wesleyan University sits just minutes from Clemson University of the ACC. Southern Wesleyan University is dedicated to the concept that God is the source of all truth and wisdom. Its mission is to create an atmosphere in which members of the university community work together toward wholeness through the integration of personal faith, intellectual pursuits, and practical living. The university seeks to meet the needs of students with various abilities and backgrounds, enabling them to realize their personal and professional educational goals.
Supervisor: Director of Athletics
This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics and is considered a member of the Department of Athletics and Student Life staff. As a member of the Department of Athletics and Student Life staff, the individual will participate in Department of Athletics and Student Life functions as requested.
- Abide by and comply with the constitution, bylaws, and interpretations of the NCAA D II, NCCAA, Conference Carolinas and University rules and regulations relating to the conduct and administration of the program. Report any known or suspected violations of the NCAA D II, NCCAA, Conference Carolinas and/or University promptly to the Director of Athletics.
- Adhere to, respect, and follow the academic standards and requirements of the University in regard to the recruiting and eligibility of prospective and current student-athletes for the program.
- Assist student-athletes in obtaining spiritual growth, a quality education, and appropriate academic accomplishments.
- Supervise assistant coaches including compliance by such coaches with NCAA DII, NCCAA, Conference Carolinas and University rules and regulations.
- Recruit student-athletes who are mission fit, academically solid, and athletically skilled.
- Interview prospective student-athletes, their parents and their coaches.
- Make every effort to work alongside and with admissions, financial aid and student life offices during the recruiting process.
- Organize and supervise all practices, games and special workout sessions. Participate in the instruction and coaching of student-athletes.
- Coordinate transportation, game schedule, meals, referees/umpires, equipment and facilities needs for all team contests.
- Manage all aspects of the specific sport budget including team and personal travel, equipment, office supplies, and postage.
- Actively raise funds to supplement the University budget for team expenses as agreed upon by the Director of Athletics. Assist the Director of Athletics and the coordinator of the Warrior Club in raising funds for the general Warrior Club agency.
- Establish and maintain a frequent system of communication with the Director of Athletics, VP of Student Life, faculty, staff, and the student body.
- Work to integrate intercollegiate athletics to the University and its mission.
- Contact media, alumni and civic groups when necessary.
- Assist in the organization and the planning of department events.
- Produce reports and paperwork for the local and national awards.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
Successful candidates should display commitment to self-motivation, must be born-again Christians, and must be committed to the institution’s mission of Christ-centered higher education. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Must demonstrate a mature and expressive Christian faith commitment.
- Needs to passionately support and articulate the University mission and vision for athletics within the context of that mission.
- Must have some level of experience in coaching (Minimum of 2 years at the college level) that includes recruiting student-athletes, marketing, scheduling, equipment budgeting/management, and facility care.
- Must have an earned Bachelor’s Degree. Preference given to degrees within the fields of Sport and Recreation Management, Health and Physical Education.
- Need to be gifted in supervising and motivating others.
- Must subscribe to the principles and lifestyle of the Wesleyan Church.
The Head Coach for Men’s and Women’s Tennis is classified as a 10-month, part-time, salaried, non-exempt position.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants must send a completed staff application with a cover letter and resume to:
Director of Athletics, Chris R. Williams at Southern Wesleyan University, 907 Wesleyan Drive,
P.O. Box 1020, Central, SC 29630 or by e-mail at . Staff applications can be found on-line at www.swu.edu.
Applicants will only be contacted if their qualifications and experience match the requirements for this position. ONLY EMAIL INQUIRIES WILL BE RESPONDED TO; PLEASE, NO PHONE CALLS.