Southern Wesleyan University administers the state-funded Project Read grant. This grant's purpose is to provide language arts staff development to K-5 South Carolina public school teachers using the Language Circle Project Read curriculum.
Project Read consists of four curriculum strands: phonics, linguistics, reading comprehension, and written expression.
Language Circle Project Read is a complete language arts program designed to respect alternative learning profiles. Research-based and student-tested, Project Read has been proven to cultivate knowledge, promote academic independence, and foster personal integrity.
Language Circle Enterprises exists to ensure that every child, no matter their circumstance or ability, has the opportunity to understand, embrace, and enjoy the many components of the written and spoken word.
Project Read Classes Currently Offered
EDUC 5853 – Written Expression
- This course is being offered at the Abbeville District office.
- Classes on February 26, March 5, 12, 15, 19.
- Class will be held from 4:45 - 7:45 p.m.
- This course is for K-3 teachers only.
- If you are interested in the course, please contact Betty Hayes.
EDUC 5863 – Linguistics
- This course is being offered at Room 122A, Newby Education Building on SWU's main campus.
- Classes on Monday, March 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 from 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- This course is for 4-5th grade teachers only.
- If you are interested in the course please contact Betty Hayes by January 22.