Library Information for Adult Evening Students (AGS)
Where is the Library?
The library is located at the main campus in Central, SC. Click here for a campus map.
Need the address for your GPS? It is 907 Wesleyan Drive, Central, SC 29630. Click here for a Google map.
Students may also use their SWU student ID card to check out books at nearly every academic library in South Carolina. (see participating institutions)
Getting Started with Research
Borrowing Library Materials
SWUcat (items in Rickman Library)
- Search for items
- Use the Request Materials form to have items mailed directly to your home!
Encore, formerly PASCALcat (items in SC academic libraries)
Visiting Patron - Allows any SWU student to take their ID to a participating PASCAL library and check out books. For example, if a Charleston AGS student needs a book located at Charleston Southern University, he or she can go directly to Charleston Southern’s library and check out the book.
Pick-Up Anywhere - Allows students to request books through PASCAL Delivers and have the books delivered to a participating academic library for pick-up. For example, if a Charleston AGS student requests a book that is located at USC-Columbia, he or she can have the book sent directly to Charleston Southern, the College of Charleston, or another participating library for pick-up.
These collections contain over 250,000 multidisciplinary e-book titles representing a broad range of academic subject matter. All titles in these collections are available with unlimited simultaneous user access.
- All of our databases are available on-campus at our Learning Centers, on the main campus in Central, and off-campus as well.
- To connect off-campus, you will need the SAME username & password that you use to login to MySWU or your SWU email account. (Example: username = john.smith; password = smith12345.)
- Unless you have intentionally changed your email password, it is your last name plus the last 5 digits of your social security number.
- If you are still unable to access our databases, please go to the MySWU homepage and reset your password.
- Call us if you still have problems at 864-644-5071 or email and we will make sure you get what you need.
Rickman Library provides one-on-one reference service at any time during our open hours (see the About Us page). Please call toll-free at 800-289-1292 ext. 5071 (or 864-644-5071), text 864-643-5971, chat live with a reference librarian, or email .
SmarThinking offers FREE online tutoring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can connect with a highly qualified tutor in a live, interactive whiteboard environment to get help with writing, math, statistics, accounting, economics, biology, chemistry, physics, and more.
Note: To create your FREE account in SmarThinking, follow the steps below.
- Log on to https://my.swu.edu.
- In the Menu bar at the top of the page, click on the Students tab.
- Under the Other Resources box, click on Tutoring/Accommodations.
- In the sidebar on the left-hand side of the page, click the SmarThinking link.
- In the Creating a SmarThinking Account on the right, choose the appropriate link (AGS or Traditional) to create an account.
- Complete the Account Creation Form, and then click Continue at the bottom of the page.
- This will take you to your Homepage of Smarthinking.
- From this point on, you will go directly to www.smarthinking.com to login to your account, using your own login and password.
General Studies Program Resources (AA)
Academic Search Complete is a scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database.
Associates Programs Source is designed specifically for the research needs of two-year colleges, and provides comprehensive coverage of the most relevant associates program level content.
ONEsearch brings together a comprehensive collection of content—including indexing from subject indexes, full text databases, and the entire library collection—all within a full-featured single search. Use ONEsearch to find books in the library, available ebooks, and journal articles with a single search.
Social Science/Human Services Program Resources (BS)
Hospitality & Tourism Complete covers scholarly research and industry news relating to all areas of hospitality and tourism.
This database offers information on virtually every dimension of security & counter-terrorism and is designed to inform the analysis process, as well as enhance the general understanding of security and terrorism-related issues.
SocINDEX with Full Text contains full text for many sociology journals.
Social Science LibGuide (library resources/links for all social science students)
Business Program Resources (BS/BA, MSM, MBA)
Business Searching Interface provides business researchers with the highly refined tools they need, in order to conduct sophisticated searches for the business content that they require.
Business Source Complete is the world's definitive scholarly business database, providing the leading collection of bibliographic and full text content.
Entrepreneurial Studies Source provides the latest insight into topics relevant to entrepreneurship and small business.
Up-to-date and accurate, MarketLine Company Profiles contains the latest financial data for public companies. It also includes merger and acquisition activity, lists of products and services, and key competitor information for all profiled companies.
Regional Business News provides comprehensive full text coverage for regional business publications covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
Small Business Reference Center is a resource for small business owners and those interested in starting a business, offering full-text periodicals and reports, sample business plans, U.S. tax forms, videos and reference books.
Business LibGuide (library resources/links for all business students)
Education Program Resources (MEDAS, MEDCL)
ERIC, the Education Resource Information Center, provides access to education literature and resources.
Designed for educators, Professional Development Collection provides a highly specialized collection of education journals.Teacher Reference Center
Teacher Reference Center provides the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators.
Education LibGuide (library resources/links for all education students)