Division of Religion
The Division of Religion offers a major in religion with concentrations in Bible, Children's Ministry, Christian Ministry, New Testament Greek, Sports Ministry, and Youth Ministry. Students preparing for ordained ministry are urged to complete the concentration in Christian Ministry, while taking additional courses in one of five focused areas: Bible, Christian Education, Mission, Pastoral Studies, or Youth Ministry.
The mission of the Southern Wesleyan Division of Religion is to grow in student numbers, in educational effectiveness, and spiritual influence to advance the Gospel in contemporary cultures.
Our overall goal is for our students to be transformed by Christ, the Living Word, and live transformed lives as evidenced by the values, priorities, and personal witness of those who have answered God’s call. Then equipped to study and teach the written Word of God, they will be prepared to serve Christ and His church as pastors, youth pastors, children’s pastors, worship pastors, missionaries, and other ministry leaders.
Students obtaining a BA in Religion are students who will...
- Demonstrate spiritual growth and accountability.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the Bible,
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic theological concepts,
- Be able to communicate God’s truth in order to make disciples, and
- Understand human development (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual) and grow in their ability to minister in ways that are developmentally and contextually appropriate.