BS in Biology - Pre-Medicine or Pre-Dentistry
About the Program
These degree programs develop in students a competency in key areas of biology, chemistry, physics, and math. However, at Southern Wesleyan University our view of biology is based on a Christian worldview.
As a biology or pre-medical major, you will learn to integrate faith with learning in biology and be able to discuss ethical implications, even at the global level, in biology. You will develop competency in biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology, genetics, organismal biology (e.g., botany, zoology, microbiology), anatomy and physiology, environmental science, and scientific literacy. You will learn many tools utilized in biology, including many types of microscopes (e.g., florescent, electron, polarizing), spectrophotometers, electrophoresis apparatus, computer-based data acquisition equipment, many physiological instruments and various types of other equipment used in a laboratory and research setting.
You might consider a biology or pre-medical major if you have a desire to advance to medical or dental school, plan on a career in some aspects of the health services or health care industry, plan to work in the pharmaceutical industry, are interested in the many aspects of molecular biology, are interested in ecology or field biology working with animals or plants, and many other possible careers (see list of possible careers below).
Why Pre-Medical/Pre-Dentistry at SWU?
|Over 90% acceptance rate of SWU biology/pre-med graduates into graduate school.||Opportunities to be mentored by high-caliber faculty with the three biology professors having Ph.D.’s and one with a master’s, and the chemistry professor, A.B.D. for her Ph.D.||SWU has a cooperative agreement with VCOM in Spartanburg for 10 of our students to get into their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program.|
|Opportunities for research, mentored by faculty or with faculty, and to apply for research grants.||Academically rigorous science curriculum through the lens of a Christian worldview, but free from indoctrination with a narrow political or theological perspective.|
(Some require graduate work)
Graduate School Programs That Go Well with a Biology or Pre-medical Degree
Positions Held by Alumni
- Laboratory technicians at such universities as Clemson University and University of North Carolina.
- Professors at Duke University, University of Georgia, Emmanuel College
- Doctors, dentists, physical therapists, physician assistants, nurses, certified massage therapists, speech pathologists, optometrists, podiatrists, and other medically related fields.
- Chemists and biologists for Duke Power, Milliken Corporation, Michelin Corporation, Nutra, and other industries.
- High school biology and science teachers, including one who was the outstanding biology teacher in all of South Carolina in 2010.
- Forensic scientists
- Pharmacists and pharmaceutical sales representatives
- Biologists at Tennessee Aquarium and Ripley’s Aquarium