BS in Exercise Science
What is the Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science?
This degree program helps students develop a competency for applying basic sciences, including biology, chemistry and physics, to the new fields of exercise science and clinical exercise science, but also delves deeper and explores how the psychology of behavioral change, spiritual and emotional health relate to primary and secondary prevention of the major chronic diseases and improve quality of life. Administrative and legal issues related to clinical exercise science are approached from a Christian worldview, and the program uses real-life experience in various fitness and healthcare settings to give a student an advantage in the field.
What opportunities exist for students enrolled in the Exercise Science program?
As an Exercise Science major, you will learn to integrate faith, science and experience with clinical exercise science and be able to apply that knowledge firsthand in health promotion, health-related fitness professions, and disease treatment programs. You will learn to utilize various assessment skills and equipment to measure physiological parameters and exercise prescriptive techniques. The final part of your studies will include a dynamic, interactive internship working directly with experts in the fields of fitness and/or clinical exercise science.
The core curriculum is designed around the recommendations of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). One of the major themes of the Exercise Science Program will be the integration of the Exercise is Medicine® initiative of the ACSM into the lives of the students, faculty and staff of Southern Wesleyan University and the people of the communities we serve.
Is this major right for you?
You might consider an Exercise Science major if you plan on a career in fitness, healthcare, or desire to advance to graduate work in the clinical exercise sciences or related areas. If you desire to learn more about science and apply that knowledge to a clinical population, this program is designed for you. ACSM provides the gold standard for certification of exercise professionals. Just a few of the possible ACSM certifications that this Program will prepare you for are:
Health Fitness Certifications
- ACSM Certified Personal Trainer® (CPT) -- Certified Personal Trainers develop and implement safe, effective exercise programs to help healthy individuals accomplish their fitness goals.
- ACSM Certified Health Fitness SpecialistSM (HFS) -- Health Fitness Specialists, slightly more advanced in degree than a personal trainer, work with individuals who have medically controlled diseases.
- ACSM Certified Group Exercise InstructorSM (GEI) -- Group Exercise Instructors teach effective, enjoyable group exercise classes and are able to modify exercises based on group needs.
- ACSM/ACS Certified Cancer Exercise Trainer (CET) -- Cancer Exercise Trainers train individuals affected by cancer, using understanding of cancer diagnoses, treatments, side effects and more.
- ACSM/NCPAD Certified Inclusive Fitness Trainer (CIFT) -- Inclusive Fitness Trainers lead individuals with physical, sensory or cognitive disabilities through safe, adapted exercise.
- ACSM/NSPAPPH Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist (PAPHS) -- Physical Activity in Public Health Specialists promote physical activity in public health at national, state and local levels.
About our graduates
When you graduate from Southern Wesleyan University with a BS in Clinical Exercise Science, you will be prepared for graduate studies in:
- Exercise Physiology
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Health Psychology
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Athletic training
- Chiropractic medicine
Core Courses in the Curriculum