BS in Psychology
WHAT IS THE BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN PSYCHOLOGY?
This degree program is designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in a helping profession. The B.S. in Psychology uniquely prepares students for a wide array of careers encompassing everything from research to counseling.
WHAT DO STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THE PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAM DO?
As a Psychology major, you will take courses specifically designed to familiarize you with the key theories and principles in Psychology. This process begins as early as your first semester as you take General Psychology for Majors, a course in which you get “hands on” experience with the science of Psychology through the Psychology Lab. You will continue honing these skills throughout the program, culminating in a research project your senior year, showcasing your 4 years at SWU.
IS THIS MAJOR RIGHT FOR YOU?
You might consider a Psychology major if:
- You ever wonder why people are the way they are?
- Consider yourself a good listener who wants to help people with their problems
- Enjoy research
- You want to pursue a career in which understanding what makes people “tick” is important (i.e. Advertising, Counseling, Mentoring, Coaching, etc.)
ABOUT OUR STUDENTS
In our Psychology program, students have many opportunities.
- Getting a diverse liberal arts experience through over 30 hours of elective coursework
- Engaging in research by joining the Honor’s program
- Internships to gain real world experience
- Paid Teaching Assistantships that provide experience in research and course instruction
- Low student/faculty ratio for one-on-one mentoring in academic and professional development
ABOUT OUR GRADUATES
When you graduate from Southern Wesleyan University with a BS in Psychology, you can join alumni and graduates in prestigious graduate schools and careers all across the nation, including:
- Francis Marion University, M.S. in School Psychology
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Clinical Counselor, The Charleston Center
- Social Worker
- Missionary, Bosnia
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Director, Pickens County Department of Social Services
- Missionary, Cambodia