Located in the beautiful upstate region of South Carolina, Southern Wesleyan University (SWU) is a Christ-centered, student-focused learning community devoted to transforming lives by challenging students to be dedicated scholars and servant leaders who impact the world for Christ. Along with a vibrant, traditional undergraduate program, SWU has adult and graduate studies learning centers in four major cities across the state in addition to its main campus.
Southern Wesleyan University’s College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track position in Computer Science within its Science Division. This position, which will begin January or August 2017, is located at SWU’s main campus in Central, South Carolina.
SWU does not discriminate in hiring and employment practices on the basis of race, national origin, sex, physical handicap, age, or veteran status of the applicant. To be considered for employment, however, applicants must complete an application for employment and a questionnaire giving evidence of a Christian testimony and of a willingness to support the beliefs and practices of the campus community.
- Teaching, with experience desirable in the areas of cybersecurity, hardware and software configuration, networking, database design and implementation, systems analysis and design, programming, and theory of computing. Responsibilities may include teaching in both our traditional undergraduate program and the online program. SWU faculty carry a 12-hour/semester load.
- Curriculum and program development and assessment.
- Committee and faculty involvement as directed by the University.
- Student advising/mentoring.
- Student recruitment.
- Scholarly research in one of the following areas: Scholarship of Discovery, Scholarship of Criticism and Integration, Scholarship of Application, Scholarship of Teaching, Scholarship of Artistic Endeavor, and/or Scholarship of Christian Integration.
- Professional development.
- Academic. An earned Ph.D. in Computer Science or related discipline. The successful candidate will have an interest in and experience in teaching computer science courses. Desire and/or experience in integrating Christian faith with the teaching and practice of the discipline of computer science is essential. The entry level of the candidate will be determined by terminal degree, qualifications, and experience.
- Mission and Lifestyle Expectations. The university is a Christian liberal arts institution in the Wesleyan-Holiness theological tradition. In light of SWU’s unapologetically Christ-centered mission, all employees are expected to embrace the university’s Statement of Faith, respect its Wesleyan heritage, and adhere to its lifestyle expectations. To view the university’s profile, visit About SWU.
- Technology. SWU is committed to maximizing the use of technology in its daily operations and in achieving its strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be comfortable and familiar with the use of technology within the academic environment including distance learning and learning management systems.
- Pre-employment Screening. Employment is contingent on the completion a criminal background screening.
Interested faculty applicants should submit the following materials:
- A letter of application
- A curriculum vitae
- Official transcripts (graduate and post-graduate level coursework) must be sent directly to Human Resources electronically or by mail from the degree-granting institution
- A SWU faculty application
Submit all application materials electronically to , or by mail to Human Resources, Southern Wesleyan University, P.O. Box 1020, Central, SC 29630. For additional information, you may contact 864-644-5005.