Learn what it takes to be a scientist that leads and serves.
We are all scientists: observing the world, drawing conclusions, learning constantly how to improve ourselves and the world around us. You might have a specific knack or interest in the science of life. You may even want to make a career out of it. Our BS in Biology is a comprehensive science degree program that prepares you for a variety of careers or post-graduate work in life sciences.
You will develop competencies in cellular biology, molecular biology, genetics, organismal biology (botany, zoology, microbiology and anatomy and physiology), population biology and ecology. You will learn to integrate faith and ethics with biology, even at the global level. Want hands-on experience? You'll have access to medical technology and professional laboratory equipment such as scanning and transmission electron microscopes. Honors students have the opportunity to work on real life scientific research alongside faculty to make new discoveries!
You can take it one step further by customizing your degree with coursework in Molecular/Cellular, Physiology, Organismal, or Environmental sciences. You might also choose to seek a career path in Medical, Dental, Veterinary, or Pharmaceutical studies.
Explore and discover creation with a Biology Degree
If you love learning about the created world and how it works, the Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biology might be what you are looking for! You will get to explore and discover creation through coursework, internships, and research and development opportunities. If you are analytical and have a desire to learn more about components that make up the earth’s plant and animal life, our program will give you face-to-face learning experiences with the subject matter. If you desire to advance to medical school, plan on a career in the health services, seek to work in the healthcare industry, or plan to work in the pharmaceutical industry, our faculty are ready to work with you one-on-one to achieve your dreams. The scientific community needs servant leaders like you to be the difference-makers.
Zach Ehrhardt - Biology/Chemistry Major
Our graduates from this program have been accepted into graduate schools including:
- Department of Energy Scholars internship
- Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine
- East Tennessee State University
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Presbyterian College of Pharmacy
- University of Alabama
- University of Georgia
- University of Kentucky
- University of Nebraska
- University of North Carolina
- University of South Carolina
- University of Texas
- Wake Forest University
- Washington University (St. Louis, Mo.)
- Western Carolina University
Graduate school programs that go well with a biology or pre-medical degree:
- Dental School
- Extracorporeal Circulation Technology
- Health Administration or Management
- Medical School
- Osteopathy School
- Medically related research degrees
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Pharmacy School
- Physician’s Assistant
- Veterinary School
- Speech pathology
- Optometry School
This program opens the door to many career possibilities (some require graduate work), including:
- Advisory or consultant work
- Biotechnology and genetics
- Chemical manufacturing
- Clinical testing
- DHEC employee
- Ecologist (e.g., for Duke Power)
- Environmental testing and remediation
- EPA employee
- Food, nutrition, agriculture
- Forensic Science
- Groundwater studies and remediation
- High School Biology Teacher
- Microbiologist (e.g., CDC)
- OSHA employee
- Pesticide residue analysis and standards
- Sale of biological and chemical supplies or pharmaceuticals
- Sewage treatment or waste disposal
- Soil science
- Zoo or aquarium
Our graduates have gone into a number of careers including:
- Laboratory technicians at such universities as Clemson University and the University of North Carolina.
- Professors at Duke University, University of Georgia, Emmanuel College
- Doctors, dentists, physical therapists, physician assistants, nurses, certified massage therapists, speech pathologists, optometrists, podiatrists, and other medically related fields.
- Chemists and biologists for Duke Power, Milliken Corporation, Michelin Corporation, Nutra, and other industries.
- High school biology and science teachers, including one who was the outstanding biology teacher in all of South Carolina in 2010.
- Forensic scientists
- Pharmacists and pharmaceutical sales representatives
- Biologists at Tennessee Aquarium and Ripley’s Aquarium