Optimize the human body through research and faith
Interested in helping people reach their maximum physiological potential? The Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science at SWU prepares you to do just that. Learn the science of the human body: biology, chemistry, kinesiology, and physics, as well as psychology, spirituality, and emotional health as it applies to human function, disease prevention, and quality of life. You'll even learn how to approach administrative and legal issues in clinical and fitness settings. Our curriculum is hands-on and faith-filled, aimed at giving you an advantage in the field.
prepare for exercise science jobs in health and fitness
As an Exercise Science major, you will integrate faith, science, and experience with clinical exercise science, and be able to apply that knowledge firsthand in health promotion, health-related fitness professions, and disease treatment programs. You will learn to utilize various assessment skills and equipment to measure physiological parameters and exercise prescriptive techniques. Your SWU experience will culminate in a dynamic internship working directly with experts in the fields of fitness and/or clinical exercise science.
The core curriculum is designed around the recommendations of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). One of the major themes of the Exercise Science degree program will be the integration of the Exercise is Medicine® initiative of the ACSM into the lives of the students, faculty and staff of Southern Wesleyan University and the people of the communities we serve.
Is an Exercise Science degree right for you?
You might consider an Exercise Science degree if you plan on a career in fitness, healthcare, or desire to advance to graduate work in the clinical exercise sciences or related areas. If you desire to learn more about science and apply that knowledge to help people achieve a state of optimal health and wellness, this program is designed for you. ACSM provides the gold standard for certification of exercise professionals.
- ACSM/ACS Certified Cancer Exercise Trainer (CET) -- Cancer Exercise Trainers train individuals affected by cancer, using understanding of cancer diagnoses, treatments, side effects and more.
- ACSM/NCPAD Certified Inclusive Fitness Trainer (CIFT) -- Inclusive Fitness Trainers lead individuals with physical, sensory or cognitive disabilities through safe, adapted exercise.
- ACSM/NSPAPPH Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist (PAPHS) -- Physical Activity in Public Health Specialists promote physical activity in public health at national, state and local levels.
Just a few of the possible ACSM certifications that this program will prepare you for are:
Health Fitness Certifications
- ACSM Certified Personal Trainer® (CPT) -- Certified Personal Trainers develop and implement safe, effective exercise programs to help healthy individuals accomplish their fitness goals.
- ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist® (EP-C) -- Certified Exercise Physiologists, more advanced in degree than a personal trainer, work with individuals who have medically controlled diseases.
- ACSM Certified Group Exercise InstructorSM (GEI) -- Group Exercise Instructors teach effective, enjoyable group exercise classes and are able to modify exercises based on group needs.
You will be prepared for graduate studies in:
- Exercise Physiology
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Health Psychology
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Athletic training
- Chiropractic medicine