Passionate, caring faculty with decades of education experience
Serve children and families, impact your community.
You have a passion for working with children and families, and are looking for the best next step in your life and career. The Early Childhood and Family Studies degree at SWU is an interdisciplinary program that prepares graduates to work in a variety of settings. Through this program, students acquire the values, knowledge, skills and dispositions within a “Christian ethic of care” necessary to positively impact contemporary families in the areas of early childhood and family studies.
Early Childhood and Family Studies students will:
- Know and understand young children’s characteristics and needs and the multiple influences on development and learning.
- Know and understand family and community characteristics and support them through respectful and reciprocal relationships.
- Understand the goals, benefits and uses of assessment and practice responsible assessment.
- Use content knowledge to build meaningful curriculum in all curriculum areas.
- Uphold ethical standards and professional guidelines and engage in informed advocacy for young children, their families and the early childhood profession.
We offer you the skills you need to succeed in the world of early care and development. In addition to jobs in Head Start, jobs are available in public and private schools and family service organizations.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, demand for preschool teachers is expected to grow by 17 percent from 2012 to 2022.
The Early Childhood and Family Studies program does not lead to teacher certification or a teaching degree.
Southern Wesleyan University awards a 10% scholarship to employees of the South Carolina Head Start Association, Goodwill Industries, Pickens County, Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina, as well as other organizations. Click here for more information.
Apply Online in 15 Minutes:
It only takes 15 minutes to apply to the Early Childhood and Family Studies Management program.
Online Program Start Dates
Monday, August 23, 2021
Get in touch to learn more.
Have questions? We can help. Send us your info above, and we’ll reach out to you. Don't worry, we won’t share your info with anyone else.