Information about the novel coronavirus COVID-19
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some causing respiratory illness in people and others circulating among animals. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can evolve and infect people and then spread among people. Several coronaviruses cause the common cold. Other types of previous coronavirus outbreaks have included severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”). Reported illnesses have ranged from mild to severe, including illness resulting in death.
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to a person with coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Shortness of Breath
Contact your healthcare professional if you develop symptoms, and have been in close contact with a person know to have COVID-19 or if you have recently traveled from an area with widespread or ongoing community spread of COVID-19.
- South Korea
As you plan your summer travel, keep in mind the following:
- SWU will communicate any emergency information through the SWU Alert System.
- CDC is advising traveling on any cruises at your own risk.
- Your best prevention of illness is below.
Everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs:
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
- If you are sick with flu-like illness the CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after you are fever-free (without the use of fever reducing medications).
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw away the tissue immediately after using it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water (using the time duration of singing happy birthday twice to yourself) and thoroughly dry your hands. If soap and water are unavailable use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your face – eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way!
- Don’t share drinks, food with others.