There are multiple ways to earn scholarship money for your talents in the arts!
All prospective music majors are required to audition for acceptance into the music department. The audition is an opportunity to present studies or compositions that best represent a student’s performance capabilities. The top students to audition will be eligible to receive the Joan and Thomas Phillippe Young Artist Award. The winners of the Young Artist Awards who enroll at Southern Wesleyan as music majors will receive a scholarship award that may be renewed annually during four years of study subject to their continued advancement as determined by the Department of Music.
Sign up for an audition date below:
Saturday, February 12, 2022 — 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Friday, March 18, 2022 — 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 22, 2022 —3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Auditions will be in the Rehearsal Hall, lower level of the Newton Hobson Chapel and Fine Arts Center.
Other important audition information
- Each student must audition to be admitted into the SWU Music program, even after being admitted to SWU.
- If a student is unable to audition on any of the scheduled dates/times, he/she may contact the department to propose an alternate date/time.
- If a student is unable to audition in person, he/she may submit an unlisted (private) video to YouTube, then send the link to Prof. Greg Day at .
- The student should submit a list of significant musical accomplishments while in high school or college to the audition.
- All auditions must be completed by May 10 to be considered for the Phillippe Scholarship Award.
- Awards will be based on performance, sight-reading, and musical background.
- To request an accompanist, contact Professor Jane Dill at or at (864) 644-5404.
- Other dates may be requested if the student is unable to attend one of the announced dates.
The following are guidelines for selecting audition material:
Prepare two compositions in contrasting styles. Choose at least one composition from standard classical literature. At least one composition should be performed from memory. Sight-reading is also required.
Prepare two songs in contrasting styles. Choose at least one selection from classical literature(NATS, All-State, Solo/Ensemble lists will provide a guideline). Both selections should be memorized. If possible, one song should be in a foreign language (Italian, French, German, Spanish or Latin). Sight-reading is also required. Please bring your own accompanist or sheet music for our staff accompanist.
Wind, Percussion, and Strings (including guitar)
Prepare two selections in contrasting styles plus sight-reading. Play major scales preferably at the All-State Senior Band level but at a minimum one octave. Play chromatic scale over the entire working register of your instrument. Please bring your own accompanist or sheet music for our staff accompanist. Be prepared to sight read at least two selections.
The Division of Fine Arts supervises the awarding of scholarships to students based on their ability to participate in music ensembles at Southern Wesleyan University. Music majors and non-music majors are eligible for this scholarship.
Non-music majors may set up an audition through the SWU Choir Director, Dr. Don Campbell. No preparation is required. Students will be asked to sing their choice of “Amazing Grace” or “My Country ‘Tis of Thee,” accompanied by Dr. Campbell. Additionally, students can expect a vocal range test and some simple singing exercises.
Prepare one solo or etude that demonstrates range, tone quality, expression, and technique. Students will be asked to read one piece to assess sight-reading ability. Be prepared to play major scales (minimum one octave) as requested by faculty. If applicable, please provide accompanist or sheet music for our staff accompanist.