Become a servant leader in the world of outdoor recreation or sports with a Recreation and Sport Management degree
This degree program develops in students the competencies in the areas of Recreation and Sport Management, based on an educated Christian philosophy and the belief that God created a time for activities outside the traditional work schedule. Furthermore, SWU graduates in this field will be strong and purpose-driven warriors for the Lord in helping others meet and grow in faith through sport and recreation positions.
Challenging and Equipping
As a Recreation and Sport Management major, you'll learn to integrate faith in the field of recreation and sport, positioning yourself to take on challenging roles in college athletic programs, county and city recreation facilities, professional sports teams, sport-oriented venues, nonprofit organizations, gyms and fitness facilities, resorts, youth sports organizations, sports councils, parks, schools, and even equipment and apparel manufacturing firms. Additionally, you will be well equipped to enroll in graduate programs in the field. Whether you choose to concentrate in Outdoor Recreation or Administration in Athletics & Recreation, this program will be rigorous yet fun-filled and rewarding.
In the Recreation and Sport Management degree program, you will receive hands-on experiences, with classroom instruction taught in a fun-filled, challenging, engaging environment. Our expert faculty and variety of guest speakers in the field will inform and guide you, and our out-of-class excursions will prepare you for life beyond the classroom.
Is The Recreation and Sport Management degree Right For You?
If you have a passion for sports and/or the outdoors, this may be the right place for you; realizing that the recreation and sports world is a place to have fun every day in your work, but it is also a labor intensive and highly competitive career field. If you are really engaged in making sports and recreation your life calling, then we can help you gain entry into this arena!
Choose your path
- Hear from Experts in the field as guest speakers in class
- Visit stadiums and centers in local and metro areas such as Atlanta and Charlotte
- Attend conferences in Sport and Entertainment Management
- Participate in exciting internships as part of your degree requirements
- Learn the business of sports at multiple levels from behind the scenes and in the trenches
- Explore how faith is a part of sport and athletics
- Learn hard skills for outdoor leadership
- Explore foundations for experiential education
- Learn ropes course skills and work at SWU’s Challenge Course
- Acquire wilderness medical skills
- Hike the Foothills Trail in the Jocassee Gorges area
- Kayak on the Upstate's beautiful lakes
- Participate in internships at camps and adventure outfitters
- Learn to use outdoor adventures to connect people to God
Hear about Nathan Stegenga's story about our program and his experience at NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School).